Tuesday, November 20, 2007

The Lodge, Webster, Mass - Wedding




















November 10, 2007:

Sometimes when I'm looking for inspiration in my photography it doesn't come right away. That is the main reason I like to visit the locations of the weddings & receptions I'm going to shoot a few weeks prior to the wedding day. In my case, inspiration builds.

This was indeed the case for this wedding and reception I shot at a restaurant in Webster, Ma.

I always make it a point to pay a visit and speak with the event coordinators. Most times I can get an idea from them of how, where and when to shoot. Some may call that cheating, but I like to think of it as research. I don't like surprises...so that's why I do my research ahead of time. I don't want to be trying to think of what would make a nice photograph while I'm running around with the whole wedding party. Not the best time to brainstorm.

I have to admit this one was a challenge! The restaurant has very low light which is not good in photographing most events. The reception was to be at the same place so there was no way to avoid taking too many photos there and taking more at another location.

That coupled with the fact that the wedding was at 4PM (in November), which meant it was quickly getting dark outside too. The inside of this restaurant was as Brown as the outside and I couldn't think of how to make these images "Pop". (I'm worried now.)

Then it came to me! The Brides dress was going to be a Beautiful White with a Red Train and I knew I wanted to be able to accentuate the Red in her dress. So, while I was visiting the restaurant two weeks before, I took some photos of the inside and outside and went home to study them in my lab.

The miracles that can be done with today's digital technology and software continues to astound me even after all these years! Here are some before and after shots of the wedding day. Thank you Photoshop! You saved the day and this photographers @$$. The after (Red) shots where done after the wedding day using Photoshop tools & techniques.

So with that worry out of the way, I had the best time photographing this wedding!

Tony & Shannon were awesome! Shannon was a bit nervous, but not as bad as she was at the rehearsal the night before. Tony was nervous too, at times pacing (like an expectant Father) before the ceremony. Everything went as planned and I feel everyone enjoyed themselves a whole lot that night.

I'll tell you a little secret. I got a little "choked-up" during the 1st dance. I'm not sure if it was their wedding song playing or the sight of Shannon's tears of joy. I slowly looked around to see if anyone was noticing me and I see the DJ looking right at me laughing! He held up a handkerchief and edged it towards me as he laughed.

Can you believe it? I still get emotional at weddings? Geez! What's wrong with me? (hahaha) I hope that never changes!

If I ever become numb at the sight of love in it's truest state, then it's time to take pictures of Landscapes and Wildlife...not people in the moment of true love.

I didn't stay for the whole night, I had my new assistant Debbie stay and shoot some more. I had to high-tail it to Randolph, Ma to shoot a Sweet 16 party that night. (more on that soon)

Tony & Shannon, thanks for entrusting us with one of the most important days in your lives. May you both enjoy your images, your love and each other for many years to come.


Best Wishes!
Beauty Discovered.

No comments: